MTHFR AND RISK OF DEPRESSION - RS1801133-GG - Question 2

There might be a correlation between having an MTHFR mutation and the response to certain types of anti-depressants. Have you found any medication that works well for you?

The only ones I could take were older meds, lithium worked the best but because I get migraines I had to stop so I could take my migraine meds

I’m assuming that if you know you have an MTHFR mutation, you know that means you can’t process folate from food properly and need to take L-methylfolate. If you’re not getting enough of the form of folate you need, this could cause depression. There are so many things that can cause the symptom of depression; I hope you will look for the root cause. See this article: http://drhyman.com/blog/2015/09/18/6-strategies-to-eliminate-depression/. I have had success with sublingual B-12 supplementation, L-methylfolate supplementation, exercise, and probably other things, but mine has probably somewhat been autoimmune-related.

1 Like

No, unfortunately, I haven’t. I just experience a bunch of side effects, sometimes anti depressants make me more depressed or anxious. Which I think kind of defeats the purpose. :slight_smile:
I hope that I was helpful in some way.
Have a good day!

All very interesting. I am not able to tolerate any of the newer Anti depressants, they actually make me worse.

A few years ago I met a Psychiatrist who told me that I had A Typical Treatment Resistant Depression and started me on Phenalazine. Very old, very cheap and exceptionally effective for me. You do almost need a science degree to take it and make sure you avoid the food and medication contra-indications that are many. The improvement was so dramatic that I was prepared to live with those limitations. Because I recently had a small injury that wouldn’t stop bleeding, I required urgent surgery. This is risky on Phenalazine, so I’ve been changed to something in the same family. that doesn’t have the same contra-indications.

I’ve just learned that I do have a problem with absorbing Vitamin B12 (thanks to Livewello) and have started on B vitamins. The effect is amazing.

There is so much to learn here. Thank you for being here

1 Like

The book “Genetic Testing Defining Your Path to a Personalized Health Plan” that covers many genes, over 300 SNPs in great detail. The book is easy to understand while still being informative, and well researched. The is titled “Genetic Testing Defining Your Path to a Personalized Health Plan”, and can go along with a genetic report using 23andme raw data. Here is an article about MTHFR, which is found at the website for the book and the genetic report that can go along with the book. You can order the genetic report and book from this website. https://geneticdetoxification.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-mthfr/