I am red for every HNMT gene! Suffer from histamine intolerance and MCAS

Looking for help managing histamine intolerance and MCAS.

1 Like

I have MCAS too. First, Iā€™d search ā€œmcas mastzellaktivierung listā€ in google and click the first result, itā€™s a pdf rating guide. Follow that, itā€™s the most accurate Iā€™ve seen.

I found a probiotic that really helped me called allergy research group Lactobacillus. It made a big difference in slowing down how quick I was becoming sensitive to stuff. Btw, D-lactate and histamine free Biifido probiotics didnā€™t help me much.

The doctor who diagnosed me put me on a mast cell stabilizer, sodium cromolyn, 4x day 5-10ml, it didnā€™t help me, but might be worth a shot. We switched to quercetin, 250mg titrated up to 1000mg before meals, Iā€™m on 250mg so far, it helps so far. I use pure encapsulations quercetin, it doesnā€™t have the fillers that bother me.

Also, she recommended adderall, I take a tiny dose, 2.5-5mg most mornings, that helps as well, but I also have autonomic dysfunction. And I also drink pink salt water during the day. And prescription potassium as Iā€™m usually low. She says 2-4tsp salt. I usually do 1/2tsp, 4x day in 20oz water. Table salt is a no-no. But make sure your BP isnā€™t high before doing a lot of salt.

She stresses how important it is to find fillers and ingredients that bother me. She has me use the NIH dailymed site to find out the ingredients of all the brands of drugs and prescriptions I take. Hope that helps.

3 Likes

Zachariah I really appreciate you responding. The PDF was very informative! I am on bifidio probiotics but I donā€™t know if they work because so many of the foods on the list are my go to foods. And my doctor has me on Iodine which I now know is a no no. I cannot find a doctor here who knows anything about MCAS so I have not officially been diagnosed - was there a certain blood test or diagnostic tool you found?

I will continue my journey and REALLY appreciate you!

Jacqueline

No prob, she used tryptase, histamine plasma and the Prostaglandins: D2 blood tests, from labcorp only. I had normal histamine, below normal tryptase and very high Prostaglandins. She said the urine tests arent very accurate, but she ordered it anyway, it was inconclusive.

2 Likes

My immunologist tested for Prostaglandins D2 I think? I donā€™t pretend to know what it means, but it was high and he wanted me to take Xyzal (OTC anti-histamine) daily - it is too expensive and I somehow found Zyrtec is close to it. He said OK. He also prescribes Ketotifen from a compounding pharmacy - 1mg oral capsule. Some of his patients are on all 4 of the ā€˜newā€™ anti-histamines (allegra, zyrtec, xyzal, and claritin).

There is a histamine blood test - I can find out the name if you need. I showed up normal on it, but it sounds like you would be out of range.

If you look at either Xymogen or Ortho Mollecular, one or both have a " Histasomething" supplement. What Iā€™ve done when ā€˜prescribedā€™ these supplements is get the active ingredients, then find them in various combinations at more affordable sources. (heh, Iā€™m even ā€œhome compoundingā€ mixing bulksupplements.com - available on amazon too - with bulk organic herbs etc that make up the expensive supplement, at a fraction of the cost)

Just trying to throw out ideas of various tests/supps/meds Iā€™ve come across over the past few years. I can get more detailed if you need, my memory was hit pretty hard so Iā€™m being general. If youā€™ve gone down that route, Iā€™d spend a few hours digging it up for naught. But I will gladly do so, if you need the info!

1 Like

Be very careful taking anti-histamines as they are dementagens. Do you have problems clearing histamine? Do you have Mast Cell Activation Syndrome? Try eliminating histamine foods - have attached a list for you. do you have symptoms of histamine sensitivity? Itching? wheezing? Memory can definitely be affected if you are inflamed. I would look to find the SOURCE of the histamine problem and not take drugs to mask it.

Orthomolecular has a product call D-Hist that might help while you do your discover. Good luck!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/krypju6sgp7023u/Food%20campatibility%20list%20-%20histamine%20intolerance.pdf?dl=0

1 Like