Hypoglycemia and low blood sugar

My hypoglycemia has waxed and waned over my life. It never went away, I’m 32 now. I struggled if I skipped a meal as a child and teen. I also craved sugar all the time as a child. It’s as if my body pumps out too much insulin all the time? My mom and siblings are the same. I envied that people could just skip a meal without becoming weak as hell. Anyone have a similar problem?

1 Like

I totally understand your blood sugar issues. I am 47 and have suffered daily but I very recently have started the keto diet and I feel so much better already. None of the cravings that controlled me and no yoyoing. I weaned off of carbs in a couple of days. Now if I take my meds with about two small swallows of OJ it helps me just enough.:slight_smile:
I hope this helps. I also need to loose weight so I went full keto. If you are at a good weight I would just do low carb if you are interested. My doctor as well as my mother in law’s doctor have given it the thumbs up.:slight_smile:

I used to have the same symptoms. I have been eating a keto type diet and use intermittent fasting which has helped.

I’m 68 and had this all my life. When I had sugar I would simply pass out and no one knew why. Then I would have a headache that lasted 4 days and caused the right side of my face to become paralyzed. Finally at 32 a doctor told me about hypoglycemia (a new concept) and to eat every 4 hours. And to have ABSOLUTELY no refined sugar, glucose or honey and only 2 pieces of fruit a day. I stopped that day. If I skip a meal I go shaky, light headed and can’t drive. It’s not worth it, so I carry nuts in my bag all the time. Occasionally when I’ve been out something has accidentally had sugar in it and -bang- there I go again. I just live with the rules and I’m fine - no sense in worrying about it. Lots of other things in life that are worse !!!

I too have a history of hypoglycemia. I had a fasting glucose challenge and had my blood sugar tested every 15 minutes. It spiked so high and dropped so low so fast the physician was running for some nuts to give me. I felt fine, obviously it was normal for me! That was in my early 20’s. I’m now almost 40 and I no longer have to eat every 4 hours to feel human or keep my blood sugar constant. I was raised in the low-fat 80’s and 90’s. But since then I’ve adopted different eating habits, higher fat and lower carb and very low refined carbohydrate. And protein at every meal. I no longer wake up hungry. I can skip lunch and be stable. I can eat dinner at 6pm and make it till morning with no issues. Highly recommend an organic, whole foods based diet, with a non-80’s ratio of fats/protein/carbs!

1 Like